Your Design Journey
Stacey Lapuk, ASID
Embarking on the new design of your home, whether it’s a new build, a remodel or addition, or updating your existing home’s interiors, is truly a fun and exciting experience. Your designer is your guide and advocate, to help you create a home that is defined by who you are.
With the patterns of Biophilia (a spoke in the science of neuroaesthetics), we can literally connect your biology to your design, enhancing your health, well-being and even your happiness.
This is what you can expect as you begin your journey!
A. CONCEPTUAL DESIGN PHASE
This phase generally takes 2 months to complete, depending on the size of your project and the complexity of your design.
- We document your space by taking photographs and measurements. This may include bringing in a draftsperson to create your as-built drawings so we begin on the right foot with the most comprehensive information.
- We capture your input and desires. We help you discover your unique style and help empower you to tell your own story. We begin understanding your likes and dislikes, your functional requirements and the architecture in which we’re working. We have a comprehensive questionnaire, and a process by which you can document images and spaces that have captured your attention.
- We gather inspiration images and envision your home from every angle. Here we can incorporate images you’ve provided along with our take on what design can really do for you.
- We conduct meetings with contractors and other trade members to determine feasibility and ballpark estimates.
B. CONCEPTUAL DESIGN DELIVERABLES
This is your design in the making! These are the elements that are presented to you, where style and color are honed and approved.
- We create floor plans where we can determine flow, functionality, the size and scale of furnishings, consider lighting needs, fixtures, finishes and more.
- We create inspiration boards. Here we’ve determined the style of furnishings, and the direction of our design.
- Our furnishing investment estimate provides us with parameters around which we’ll work for our selections of furniture, window treatments, area rugs, wall finishes, lighting and more.
- Initial selections are presented and reviewed. Are the fabrics and finishes aligned with the design direction you want?
If needed, typically one round of revisions may be presented. You may decide that you’d like to adjust your budget to accommodate an amazing piece of furniture, or have a yearning for a particular color accent. We are happy to accommodate you!
C. DETAILED DESIGN DELIVERABLES
This is it! Your amazing, beautiful design reflecting your style where you can live your dream. It will seamlessly offer both functionality and visual delight. Your well-designed home sets the stage for your joyful life!
1. Floor plans and elevations provide clear direction and information for not only you, but for all our contractors and artisans from which we can gather tight bids.
2. All selections are finalized. These choices have been made to align with your aesthetic, the floor plan, colors and finishes throughout the house.
3. Each fabric and finish is addressed, from flooring to bath and kitchen stone and tile, hardware, furniture, window treatments and so on.
4. Your design proposal reflects each element – each piece of furniture and fabric, each fixture and all the other pieces necessary to complete your design. We present furnishings that are a fit for your budget, quality level and aesthetic using our industry knowledge and design expertise.
D. PURCHASING and EXECUTION
Timing is dependent on the scope of the project, the contractor’s schedule and the particular resources we are utilizing. Every effort is made to insure the process is as efficient and as effective as possible!
- We communicate details to vendors and trades. From edge details to sofa trims, drapery recesses and electrical outlets. There are hundreds of elements both big and small that are handled on your behalf. We communicate to you with regular meetings the status of every aspect of your project, as much or as little as you like.
- We place orders, track deliveries and resolve deficiencies. This includes such things as checking dye lots on fabrics, and finish sample strike-offs for casegoods and area rugs. There are always issues that develop. Once, we lost fabric to a hurricane waiting on a dock in Southeast Asia to be loaded onto a boat. Things may come with a scratch, or missing a piece. All these challenges are resolved behind-the-scenes so your result is as lovely and perfect as possible.
- If your project requires a build or renovation, we offer project management. We can be sure the tile is on site with limited breakage, we template your stone to play with the natural patterns. On-the-spot decisions are handled with ease. We’ve relocated elements slightly to accommodate an HVAC or electrical issue and adjusted the size of a sofa among a myriad of other surprises. Most importantly, we act as an interpreter between you, the contractor and architect, as required.
- We oversee and coordinate deliveries, from installing window treatments, placing area rugs and furniture, to the installation of artwork. We offer accessory possibilities and manage contractors, delivery expeditors and installers. We’ve hoisted bookcases up 3 floors through a window, and placed client’s prized collections just so on the mantle.
E. PROJECT-WRAP PROCESS
We’re nearing the end and we don’t like to leave anything unfinished.
- We follow up on any outstanding items. Perhaps a piece has been delayed in shipping, or a commissioned artwork is almost completed but we didn’t want to hold up your furnishings installation.
- We see the punch list and all details through to completion. We’ve reviewed everything with you to be sure you are thrilled with your result!
- We provide you a care guide to maintain your new furnishings and finishes. How to handle a spill, or a scratch, how to best clean the carpet or sofa. A guide you can refer to as needed for the life of your home.
F. WHAT TO EXPECT
The excitement of your new design will ebb and flow as the process unfolds. This visual will help you understand what to expect. The reality is, this is a major undertaking, and like any other will have its ups and downs. An awareness of what’s coming and how it may affect you will help you weather the uncertainty, trust all is happening just as it should and when it’s not, will be taken care of on your behalf by your great team of designers, contractors and consultants.
- Are we the right fit for one another? Do we feel we can create and deliver the result you’re after, and do you feel you can trust us to be a partner in the design of your home?
- We’re on board! Ready to dig in, explore ideas, discover solutions and wonder what if.
- We’re busy conceptualizing a great design specifically for you, your family and your space. And you’re waiting. And waiting. So much is happening behind the scenes and you’re anticipating what pleasant surprises await you!
- Our first design meeting, the Conceptual Design Meeting. So much fun! Your excitement is building. You’re crazy busy with your own life, but in the back of your mind you feel energized about what’s to come.
- Ah, the details. What exactly will I be living with in my newly designed home?
- Yes! It feels so good. Loving everything. Can’t wait.
- And we’re waiting, and waiting. Finally elements are arriving at the receiver. If we’re building you can see walls going up, flooring installed, plumbing fixtures positioned and more. It’s happening.
- Installation day! Potentially, this is your big reveal. You step through your front door and have walked into your dream.
- But wait, there’s something here that needs attention. And a bit of something else over there. The light fixture has finally arrived and needs to be installed. And what happened to those pillows? Everything is noted, addressed and resolved.
- Ta dum! Your final installation! Plants and flowers, dressing your bookcases and styling your tables. Adding this accessory here, and that over there. We need something tall and thin and watery – maybe smooth glass, next to that stack of books. Whatever it is, it comes together.
You are home.
Stacey Lapuk, ASID is celebrating her 30th year with her firm. Named “One of America’s Ten Designers To Watch” by Design Times Magazine, one of the “Top 100 Interior Designer in North America” by Blink Art Resources, and the winner of multiple national design awards. Her goal is simple: To co-create with her clients the home of their dreams with responsive and comprehensive solutions, and timeless, beautiful results.
Her full service firm attracts clients desiring the finest workmanship, materials and custom design. Facets of work include partnering with architects on new construction, remodels, kitchen design and bath design, color consultation, custom furniture, flooring, area carpets, wall and window treatments, lighting design, art procurement and antique acquisition. Service areas include but are not limited to Marin County, San Francisco, Napa, Sonoma, Ross, Kentfield, Belvedere, Tiburon, San Rafael, and Pacific Heights.