Working with Architects and Builders
Stacey Lapuk, ASID
I love collaborating with architects, builders, lighting designers, landscape architects and the myriad of amazing trades with whom I have the great honor of sharing the joy of creating “home” for our clients.
When I’m brought into a project through the architect or builder, I find that working as a team, sharing and brainstorming ideas and providing detailed specifications and plans alleviates (for the most part!) assumptions, mistakes and costly time spent unnecessarily.
Some ways that have been found to be most helpful, valuable and even profitable include the following:
1. Review the architects and/or builders’ intent and plans with the client.
2. Interpret the plans for the client to limit surprises and misunderstandings.
3. Looking at the project from the inside out, usually with the knowledge of the clients’ collections, use and functional requirements.
4. Providing an alternative perspective, that the project can be fully expressed and aligned with the architects and/or builders design and budget parameters.
5. Offer design services the architect and/or builder is not interested in providing and as requested, such as:
● Kitchen and Bath designs, interior architectural elements such as fireplace surrounds, staircases, molding details etc.
● Ceiling and Floor design, materials and specifications.
● Lighting design (or collaborate with lighting designer with furniture space planning in mind.
● Stone, tile, wood design, research,specifications and procurement.
● Fixtures and finishes.
Pretty much anything from studs to pillows that you, the architect and/or builder, are not interested in addressing.
6. Obtaining timely client approvals on elements needed for construction, such as plumbing fixtures, stone, tile, wood etc; lighting design (because we have a furnishings and color plan!)
7. Flagging special needs for customizing elements for installing such things as window shades, A/V equipment etc.
8. Resources for product, artisans, craftspeople and more.
I look forward to the opportunity to help you look amazing!
Stacey Lapuk, ASID is celebrating her 30th year with her firm. Named “One of America’s Ten Designers To Watch” by Design Times Magazine, one of the “Top 100 Interior Designer in North America” by Blink Art Resources, and the winner of multiple national design awards. Her goal is simple: To co-create with her clients the home of their dreams with responsive and comprehensive solutions, and timeless, beautiful results.
Her full service firm attracts clients desiring the finest workmanship, materials and custom design. Facets of work include partnering with architects on new construction, remodels, kitchen design and bath design, color consultation, custom furniture, flooring, area carpets, wall and window treatments, lighting design, art procurement and antique acquisition. Service areas include but are not limited to Marin County, San Francisco, Napa, Sonoma, Ross, Kentfield, Belvedere, Tiburon, San Rafael, and Pacific Heights.